Saturday, December 6, 2014

Homemade hummus with whole wheat toasted pita chips




You will need:

Food Processor (I use the blender)

1 can of chick peas (2 if you want extra dip leftover)

1 garlic clove

Cooking spray (olive oil or butter flavor)

1 tbsp. lemon juice (fresh or jar)

Pinch of Salt & pepper ( I use adobo and cumin-we like the smokey flavor of the cumin)

*optional –the traditional way to make hummus calls for tahini which is ground sesame seeds.my store carries BIG jars which I dont' need..and sometimes.it’s a little pricey for how often I use it-so I just leave it out. But if you want to add it you can :)


To the blender or food processor add drained chickpeas RESERVE the juice in a side dish

Add pinch of season of your choice, I choose the cumin b/c of the smokeyness and it kind of fills in for the tahini…, add lemon juice and garlic

Add a little bit of juice from chickpeas then begin to pulse…you will end up using about half the juice until you get a paste like consistency (or whatever thickness you like for dipping.) When you have the desired consistency taste test and season to taste.

For pita chips:

I buy the Toufayan Pita bread-whole wheat (this can be swapped for your choice of pita or tortilla)

I use a pizza roller/slicer and cut into triangles

Lay triangles onto baking sheet and pre heat oven to 350

Spray light coat of cooking spray onto pita triangles and sprinkle with salt or garlic powder, or leave plain if you want pitas to have no season for other snacks

Bake for 10-15 minutes, around 10 minutes just touch them to see if they are at the crispy point, if you like more crunch leave them in longer..

Serve in dipping bowl and plate pita chips and serve :) Happy Healthy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment